News‎ > ‎

CSIF Fall 2012 Update

posted Sep 29, 2012, 3:59 PM by Felix Wong   [ updated Jul 19, 2016, 12:29 PM by Reuben Castelino ]
Welcome back to those who are returning from Spring 2012 and greetings to the newcomers for Fall 2012.

For newcomers and returning people alike, please be sure to check this websiste periodically as it will be our main method of distributing news, documentation, etc.

Here are some of the major updates going into Fall quarter 2012:
  • CSIF is roughly 85% done with transitioning all machines to Fedora 17; the other 15% will take place during the first few weeks of Fall quarter so we apologize in advance for any disruptions that may occur
  • The transition from Fedora 15 to Fedora 17 has not been the smoothest, largely due to the fact that the Linux kernel jumped from 2.6.x to 3.x; this means that some programs/features once available in Fedora 15 no longer work or exist in Fedora 17. For clarification, many popular programs are still functional in Fedora 17, so most of the users will not be affected by this. While the CSIF is currently working on resolving these issues, please bear with us since there is a lot of ground to cover. Please contact us if you find any problems, but we will most likely not be able to resolve it immediately.
  • The regular hours of operation are back into effect

That is all the updates we have for now. We hope to see you around the CSIF, and we wish you a good start on the Fall quarter.